Saturday, February 11, 2012

Living in rural America has taught me many things; specifically that it's not easy being vegetarian when your surrounded by hunters and their trophies (and I don't mean the kind you get after a season of youth soccer). Yet despite the weird looks when you say "Pass" to the deer jerky and "So you're vegetarian, but you eat chicken... right?" comments, the people I've encountered are truly and genuinely nice... just not to game animals. Anyways, there's a point: farmers vegetable gardens. There are perks to living in a place where the majority of the population are over the age of 65 (so basically everyone acts and takes care of you like your own Grandma or Pop) and farmers who know how to (1) grow vegetables and (2) grow so many vegetables you end up with bags and boxes on your desk, in your car, and outside your doorstep. Score! So when I had an overabundance of broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, onions, potatoes, garlic... you name it, I got it.... I taught myself how to blanch and preserve what I could so I could enjoy this overwhelming amount of produce all year! And boy am I glad I did because today I discovered the grated zucchini I froze especially so I could satisfy my zucchini bread fixes in the winter time.

So this recipe originated from Whole-Foods and, though I generally stick to the basics, I've adapted it to be completely vegan and super-powered with good nutrients! It could totally be made gluten-free and made as either a muffin, cake, or bread. I actually find the vegan version moister than the non-vegan way and even more delicious. But experiment, and I know you'll love it.

Zucchin-alicious Bread






Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg*
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons nonfat, vanilla yogurt*
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup grated zucchini

Optional additions:

Grated carrots
Dried cranberries
Chocolate chips
Chopped walnuts
Raisins
... whatever your heart desires :)


* So to make this vegan:
-- Instead of an egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal (I use Bob's Red Mill -- which has this egg recipe on the back) with 3 tablespoons of water.
-- Instead of yogurt, use soy yogurt or another dairy-free variety. I've used coconut yogurt before and it tastes great.

Method:


Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.**
2. In a separate bowl, combine egg, oil, applesauce, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well combined.
4. Stir in zucchini and optional additions!
5. Pour batter into greased (for the full vegan effect: don't use butter (duh!)! Use a vegetable oil cooking spray) loaf pan or muffin pan or whatever kind of pan!
6. Cooking times: muffins -- about 30-35 minutes, bread -- about 50-60 minutes (depends on the size of your loaf pan), or until a toothpick comes out clean when you poke it!
7. Let cool and... ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment