Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day Soup!

So most who know me (Kate... though Lynne often falls in this category as well) realize how incredibly indecisive I can be. This can become especially painful when hungry and I can't decide what exactly I want to eat. Tonight was one of those days. And it's not like the options weren't limitless... I looked through my vegetarian cookbooks (several of them at that... so in combination, hundreds of recipes to choose from) and couldn't choose. Thats until I came across a creamy carrot soup in my vegetarian bible: "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman. With an abundance of orange sticks, I went for it. Excellent decision! And with a KFo twist and using the 'little bit of this, little bit of that' method -- I came up with a rather delicious soup for a cool Leap Day evening.

I name this recipe...

Leaping Bunnies for Carrots Soup 


Servings: 4


Ingredients


4-5 large carrots, roughly chopped
1 Idaho sized baked potato (aka HUGE.... or 2 'everywhere else' sized ones), roughly chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
Salt and Pepper
Butter or vegetable oil (if you want vegan)
2-3 cups of vegetable stock, broth, or water

Things I added, didn't measure, and am not sure whether contributed to the tastiness of the soup. Proceed with caution....

Soy milk, plain flavored (If I were to guess, about a little less than a 1/4 cup)
Rosemary
Thyme
Garam Masala
Coriander
Nutmeg

Method



  • Heat butter or oil in large saucepan.
  • Add vegetables then salt and pepper to taste. 
  • Let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until carrots become tender
  • Add stock/broth/water and let cook until potatoes and carrots are soft
  • Pour into blender (be careful and do in batches if needed) and puree until smooth
  • Return to saucepan and warm up, adding whatever spices and soy milk you desire.



No comments:

Post a Comment