Monday, February 13, 2012

Amazing Protein Packed Bean Dip

After graduating from college and forced to cook my own meals (thanks to Kate moving to the other side of the country) I enrolled in a vegetarian cooking class.  Although the class didn't provide me with a ton of recipes to take home, I did get two really great things from it: I learned the fastest way to cut an onion....and this bean dip recipe!  The measurements are a little funky, but if you adapt it to your own taste preference it's molto bene!

Ingredients:
-2 pounds cooked black beans--or 2 cans rinsed
-1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic (I used about 2 cloves)
-1 1/2 cups roasted onion (I used about one large onion or two small...roasted in garlic oil)
-1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
-1/4 cup cilantro leaves (I love cilantro, so I add to taste)
-1/4 cup soft tofu
-1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped (I've used less spicy peppers when jalapenos aren't available--in this case I've used the whole pepper)
-Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.  Reserve some of the juice from cooking the beans, or if you are using canned beans use 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water if liquid is needed.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I've served this with scoops or I've cut french bread and toasted it in the oven with a little olive oil, garlic, and thyme.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment